Monday, September 10, 2007

Left Handed Toons...


Left Handed Toons is a collection of comics done by two right handed dudes named Justin and Drew(Last names. Who needs em?) Think little oddball musings on daily life, gone horribly wrong. The site updates regularly, no set days I suppose.

I have to say that I really enjoyed HALF of the art in this comic. That is to say half of the comics are done by Justin, and half are done by Drew. The Drew comics are drawn much much better than the others, and if he really is a right handed artist, I would love to see what he can do with his dominate drawing hand. I love the quirky style he has. Justin, on the other hand, draws stick figures. Yep. But, as plain and boring as that sounds, the coupling of the stick figures with the right joke works perfectly in some instances, so it kinda evens out in the end. Anyway, hit and miss with the art.

The writing was, again, hit or miss. Some I found funny and pretty clever, like "Nothing More" and "Stabby Stab", but then others, such as "Exercise" and "Not Good Enough" seemed like extreme filler. A lot of them are of the Seinfeld variety. You know, the "why is Ovaltine called Oval when it's round?" Type of comedy. Not really funny, but "hmph" inducing. But then a few of them had me wanting to show them to my friends, which is why the "imbed this cartoon" feature is an added plus. Good and bad but more good then bad. Ahem. Yeah.

In the end I would have to say that I liked this comic, I just wished there was less filler. Solid jokes and good art(maybe Drew could handle all art duties and Justin could write?)throughout would propel this to the top of the webcomic heap in time. Check out Left Handed Toons if you want a unique experiment in webcomics.

I give this comic...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Man some of your points are crazy, of course when there's two artists one will be better than the other, I agree Drew is slightly better but it would't be LHT without Justin's stick men, it gives it a simplier, more comic feel to it. And thoe 'fillers' as you call them are just not as strong as some of the favourites, but then have you ever tried to come up with hundreds of awesome witty joke/comments? It's hard.

I'm not arguing with you, cause it's clear it's an awesome comic, but you shouldn't put them down about their skills. Especially when they're THAT awesome.